6 Reasons to Paint before You Move In
1. It’s easy now. Interior painting is a very simple project – and not at all physically demanding -- when you can move freely within a room. Why wait till later when you may have to move heavy furniture from side to side, or work around big items, to do your painting?
2. It saves time. Painting can take a lot longer when you have to cover and uncover things, move them back and forth, and take down and re-hang artwork. It’s better to paint just before moving and short-circuit these time-consuming and unproductive steps.
3. It can save you money – lots of it. If you’re using a professional painting contractor, he or she can complete the work far faster in rooms that are empty. That’s extremely important, since time charges for labor typically account for 80 percent of the cost of painting, according to Zimmer. “Bottom line: Calling in a contractor before moving into a home can drastically lower the cost of painting the space,” she says.
4. It safeguards your furnishings. No matter how carefully you or your contractor work, there is always the chance of a paint spill, or a few stray flecks finding their way onto a prized possession. Painting before bringing in your furnishings keeps these items out of harm’s way.
5. It can simplify interior decorating. Don’t yet have your furnishings? There’s no better way to set the stage for your décor than by adding a fresh paint color scheme before decorating. Doing so greatly simplifies the selection of new furniture, carpeting, and accents, allowing you to choose just the right tints, tones, and shades to make your new home picture perfect.
6. It feels good. Adding a new coat of paint makes any home seem cleaner, fresher, more welcoming, and best of all…more “yours.” To keep your paint job looking great, Zimmer recommends the use of top quality 100 percent acrylic latex paint; it will produce a more stain resistant finish that will look new-home fresh for years to come.